I've been thinking about introducing a braid in my freeform for quite a while. I made several attempts to get it right. I always make try-outs in a crappy yarn first, because this process always involves a lot of ripping, and better to do that with cheap yarn.
This is the first one. Using my icord cheat, but it didn't look good.
The second one. Much better, but still not to my liking. The attached double crochet dominated the braid.
The third one. This is the right one. The braid has a nice 3d effect, and dominates the picture.
Here's the scrumble i made to use in my cardigan. I'm really, really proud of this one!