Unicolor under construction

A new plan to make a unicolor freeform cardigan for myself! The ideas keep popping into my head, but i'm not wasting my expensive yarn on frogging and retrying. For this purpose i use cheap yarn.



Years ago i visited Ireland, and was blown away by this beautiful country and it's rich history and symbolism, especially the Celtic knots. Since then i have been trying to incorporate them in my work, but unfortunately they don't translate into cables. I've tested out another method with good results.



The plan on how to work begins on paper:)



A photo of the result in the designated yarn. Here's how i did it.
1. Top left: i drew the motif on pattern paper and sewed it unto the scrumble. If you want to use this method, don't use a pen or marker, that can bleed unto your scrumble! If it's important to get the motif in the centre of the scrumble, use stitch markers in the scrumble, and draw lines on the pattern paper to match. This way you have references how to work.
2. Top right: the paper is pulled off and the motif emerges. Be careful pulling the paper, for it can distort and brake the sewing thread.
3. Bottom left: a close up of the surface single crochet, this stitch is made from the bottom to the top of the work. Pull up a loop, pull up another loop in the next stitch or direction you want to go, yarn over, and pull this loop through both loops (single crochet). With this stitch you follow the motif lines. In my case i had to cross over and under the motif lines, my solution for crossing under was to make an extra chain, pull this chain to the back side, chain 2 more, and pull the last loop to the front again.
4. Bottom right: this is how the scrumble turned out.



The next fase.
1. Top left: i knitted a splitted cable. This took some fiddling, because i had to invent some extra stitches. For the cable to stand out in the work, it needs to have 2 purl stitches to the sides. When you split them, there have to be 2 more purl stitches to the new sides, which can be made under the turning of the cables (invisible). It took me a day to think/frog it, but i'm happy with the result.
2. Top right: the cable is crocheted with a surface chain unto the scrumble.
3. Bottom left: the scrumble made me think of a tree, the next step then became logical, there had to be leaves. A fairly simple pattern, chain 11, make 1 single crochet in the 2nd chain, 1 half double crochet, 4 double crochet, 1 half double crochet, 3 single crochet in the next chains. chain 1 (top), crochet on the other side of the chain in reversed order (the stitches should correspond with each other). Close with a slipstitch, then make a round of crabstitch on the front loop of the stitches. Close with a slipstitch in the first crabstitch. Pull the loop over the edge to the bottom and up in the grain (= begin chain), make surface single crochet along the grain, at the end chain 1, pul this loop through to the bottom and fasten off.
4. The leaves are sewn to the scrumble. Because the crabstitch has been worked on the front loop, the back loop can be used for invisible sewing.



The scrumble has been made ready for new scrumbles to attach.
1. Top left: the scrumble finished.
2. Top right: a round of single crochet, decreasing in the corners with 1 single crochet over 2 stitches, to get a smooth border. Depending in how big the gaps to fill are, rather 2 decreases after each other, than decreasing 3 stitches at once. For increasing the rules are the same, to avoid curling or flaring.
To the sides of the cable i used slipstitches. It can be tricky to find the right places to use to keep the work flat. CHECK THIS BY LAYING DOWN FREQUENTLY! It's better to frog a little part, than regrets afterwards.
3. Bottom left: to the other side of the cable i made a couple of rounds 'double single crochet' stitch (i'm sorry, but i don't know the English term for this stitch). Along side the leaves i crocheted single crochet again, but this time only on the back loops.
4. Bottom right: at the bottom of the cable i filled the gap with Tunesian honeycomb stitch.
Note: across the scrumble in places, where the connections between stitches weren't that pretty, i crocheted surface single crochet.



The next scrumble. The idea was to make a yin yang sign. I know there is some rivalry between knitters and crocheters. The thought behind this yin yang sign is that crochet and knitting are equal and compliment each other.
1. Top left: the crocheted part of yin yang, i used Tunesian stitch.
2. Top right: the knitted part i used gartner stitch.
3. Bottom left: the motif printed out in real size to use as template. Like always, it's a matter of trying and frogging to get the right shape.
4. Bottom right: the finished scrumble. First i sewed the parts together, after that i crocheted surface single crochet along the sewing line and the outside of the scrumble. To give the motif some 'air' i crocheted 2 rounds of single crochet and a round of structured single crochet. This stitch is something i cooked up myself. The eyes of the yin yang consist of a round of 10 single crochet in a magic circle. They are sewn on the right places.



Being the neatfreak that i am, i frogged the yin yang sign, because i wasn't satified with the way it looked. To me it looked messy, and if anything, yin yang should be flowy. This version is more to my liking! I ditched the structured single crochet round, i will use it later to attach the scrumble.

No comments:

Post a Comment